Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Saturday 16 October 2010

Old mines via White Coppice Geology Trail and the Great Hill


this is Waterman's Cottage 



I am standing on a tree ! it looks like a rock but its a old tree trunk !



this is the entrance to the city!  -Here I imagined I was discovering a  long lost city !

I am climbing the wall of the city


waterfall wall  these need climbing

last wall and very very sliiiiiiiiiipy

next to the city mine


in the small mine


a exposed bank of shale ( comment from Dad opposite here evidence of many mine shafts -bell pits  )



looking at the bell pit these are the best so far we have seen
a line of bell pits  going towards the river


standing between to gate posts at Drinkwaters which was used for target practice in WW2!


Great Hill summet  here you can go to Darwin Tower, Winter Hill views all around
 - you can see Preston,Rivington Pike,Blackburn
me relaxing on a stone seat  - 4 miles  one to go !


weather Bright sunshine and cold at start to light rain and cold wind, we saw a lot of people on Great Hill
who did not have the correct kit on  ,
 one asked us near the top of Great Hill if this was Great Hill  , the other two people didn't know either - do not go out without a map and if you carry the map know how to use it!
 Take care on the Hills please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

route we took
http://www.sanoodi.com/routes/white-coppice-mine-hunt-301356/ 5 miles in total

http://www.white-coppice.co.uk/   good site for this area thanks for site update Jed :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hill about the great hill

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful walk! Such lovely scenery and if only everyone would wear the right clothing and take a map! I think people don't realise how risky it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Blog and thanks for reference to my site, web.ukonline.co.uk/jed
    However, could I ask you bookmark the new site address www.white-coppice.co.uk

    Thanks

    Jed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update on the bookmark -only noticed the comment today :)
    also updated on the Jakes other site
    http://jakeofwinterhill.wordpress.com/2010/10/16/old-mines-via-white-coppice-geology-trail-and-the-great-hill/

    ReplyDelete