Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Saturday 20 November 2010

Hidden places near Goosnargh,Preston ,Cold war Bunker , Chingle Hall the most haunted house in England ,Whittingham Hospital (disused largest mental hospital in the country),Orchard (rare fruit tree's) ,

guard  house  to the Bunker  for Preston


bunker main entrance 

Video this shows you Goosenargh filter station  for this site !
radio station/Mast  
Note from Dad Vodafone use this !


a church in Goosnargh
painted window (look carefully)



the haunted house  (Chingle Hall)  you can see the moat !
Note from Dad - the most haunted house in England ?

??? next to Chingle hall


Chingle Hall -the haunted house  ?

Whittingham  asylum was home to nearly 3,533 patients (and 600 staff) making it the largest populated in Great Britain and second largest in Europe
it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra,
brass band, ballroom and butchers.
Above is the Cameron House section
Plan of Hospital 




http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/tags.php?tag=goosnargh
This is the  St lukes section  -Male patients  

  the old  station


railway bridge -look carefully

this is the orchard which is very special 
http://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/news/entertainment/fruits_in_season_at_whittingham_1_1852020



WHITTINGHAM  ORCHARD

Whittingham Hospital was built in the last quarter of the 19th century.  Its orchard which we help to maintain still contains over 200 trees with 18 varieties of apples and 3 of pears.  We have replaced some of the lost trees with trees of similar varieties.  The hospital was self-sufficient in fruit from the orchard from October to May.  The following are the varieties to be found in it: 

APPLES




Alfriston
Annie Elizabeth
Bramley's Seedling
Crimson Bramley
Early Victoria
Edward VII
Ellison's Orange
Golden Spire
Grenadier 
Howgate Wonder
Keswick Codlin
Lane's Prince Albert
Laxton's Superb
Lord Derby
Monarch
Newton Wonder
Scotch Bridget
Warners King
PEARS


Early Portugal
Louise Bonne
Pitmaston Duchess
This is taken from


hospital fire station
site of the old brewery
main entrance to the hospital
hospital church 

feeding the ducks
lots of ducks
Note from Dad no work has been done !
remains of a headstone found in the lane !

Our route 

Link about the new hospital 


Links about Goosnargh and Whittingham 

Where I was baptised 




No comments:

Post a Comment